Job Posting: Youth Support Worker
|Reports to:||Youth Justice Manager|
|Posting Date:||January 15, 2019|
|Closing Date:||January 30, 2019|
The Kamloops & District Elizabeth Fry Society is a non-profit society providing services to people who are, or could be, criminalized, with an emphasis on the needs of women and families. The society provides education, advocacy, capacity building and safe, secure, affordable housing within an environment of respect for each person’s right to self-determination and freedom from discrimination.
Established in 1974, the Society is a member of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies. Staff, volunteers, and the board of directors are committed to compassionate program delivery with community collaboration and respect for diversity. The Elizabeth Fry Society, with skilled and motivated staff and volunteers, provides a fair and equitable work environment focused on health, mutual respect and teamwork.
The Youth Support Worker will be a valued member of the Sky Program, a community-based program that provides an alternative to custody for youth involved in the criminal justice system. Youth are housed in local care-homes and attend a day program Monday through Friday where they learn, receive one-on-one support and participate in recreational activities
The Youth Support Worker is responsible for ensuring the well-being of adjudicated by promoting their development by providing planning and support. A key component of this job is to assist youth in all aspects of their lives including their physical, social and emotional development with the goal of reducing the potential for recidivism.
- Supports youth to achieve goals through encouraging and modeling healthy lifestyle choices, pro-social life skills and by advocating on youth’s behalf.
- Supports youth in daily recreation, school supervision and lunch program.
- Works as a team member, providing and receiving feedback and support. Participates in team meetings, program planning and decision making.
- Carries the emergency after hours phone in accordance with a set schedule.
- Assesses and manages risks effectively.
- Prepares and maintains accurate and up-to-date records and statistics as required in accordance with established standards.
- Maintains sensitivity towards cultural, religious, economic and social beliefs, values and opinions of the youth.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A degree in a field related to social work, psychology, sociology or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience working with youth.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills as well as planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a team member, but with a high degree of self-reliance and independence.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle
- A criminal record check and search under the Criminal Record Review Act is required
- Benefits Package
- RRSP Matching Program
To apply for this position please send cover letter and resume with subject line “Youth Support Worker Position” to email@example.com
Thank you for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Kamloops & District Elizabeth Fry Society is holding a Fundraising Raffle to support our amazing existing programs. All prizes were generously donated by:
A Suite Retreat Bed & Breakfast
Kamloops Delta Hotel
KFS Paramount Theatre
Please support your local Elizabeth Fry and purchase a ticket today! Message us for delivery!
Check out our Fall Newsletter For What’s New at Kamloops & District Elizabeth Fry
Free, quality clothing for low income women !
Lizzy’s Closet is a free, used, quality clothing program for women, ran by women. The main focus is to help women who are in need of clothing for court appearances, job interviews, attending school, in crisis, and low-income situations.
Upcoming Dates & Times:
December NO CLOSET
January 9th & 23rd
February 6th & 20th
March 5th & 19th
Hours of Operation: 9:30am-11:30am
Location: 827 Seymour St. Kamloops BC V2C 2H6
Donations of clean, gently used women’s clothing can be dropped off at the main office, Monday – Thursday 9:00am – 11:00 and 1:00 – 3:00 (we are closed over the lunch hour). Please call ahead to notify the office of drop off.
Your donations are greatly appreciated.
For more information please contact Amy at 250-374-2119 ext. 212 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kamloops & District Elizabeth Fry Society
827 Seymour Street, Kamloops
250-374-2119 Ext 200
We’ve been in the news! We are so excited to be opening doors to Kamloops Rent Bank this February. Rent banks provide emergency loans at a low interest rate for people who are going to be evicted from their housing or cut-off from their utilities. Rent banks are for low-income wage earners. People who qualify will have stable income and will have been in stable housing for over a year, those who don’t qualify will be connected with other supports.
These emergency funds keep people with nowhere else to turn from becoming homeless and entering the cycle of poverty. The Kamloops and District Elizabeth Fry Society administrates this program, which is overseen by a community board.
Want to see what others are saying?
Kamloops Daily News: Kamloops Rent Bank Opens Doors In February
Kamloops This Week: Kamloops Rent Bank Opens in February
Kamloops Daily News: Gilchrist: Rent Bank Benefits Outweigh Any Costs
United Way Thompson Nicola Cariboo blog: Kamloops Rent Bank Starting in February 2013
Recap: Taxes and Finances
Did you miss our January group session on new tax law and managing personal finances? In case you did, here’s the resources we discussed:
New mandatory legislation comes into effect Spring 2013- learn about it here: www.cra-arc.gc.ca